[vlc-devel] Regression with MKV active-by-default subtitles

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 19:32:03 CEST 2016

Originally posted here as I was trying to figure out what was going on:

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136087

As it turns out, the breakage happened in d61c514, with this comment:
> also changes sub-language to "none", fixing the none/any logic.

I'm not sure what exactly was fixed, but as a side-effect, it means
that MKV subtitles with the "default" flag set are no longer active by
default. I'm guessing that simply reverting this change (specifically,
the change to src/libvlc-module.c) is the wrong way to correct this,
but it has given me a working VLC.

To create the files in question, I use this command:

$ mkvpropedit filename.mkv --edit track:s1 --set flag-default=1

Would very much appreciate it if someone could ascertain why this no
longer works with the "none" default!

ChrisA