[vlc-devel] VLC on Raspberry Pi : video to EGL surface

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sat Sep 24 02:32:59 CEST 2016

Le jeudi 22 septembre 2016, 20:14:13 Damien a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I am using libvlc to create an application that can display videos on the
> Raspberry Pi, and I would like to know if libvlc can run without X, by
> steaming video via Opengl output, to an existing EGLSurface.

In theory, it would be possible an EGLDisplay *and* an EGLSurface, since
rendering to an EGLSurface is already supported internally. It won't work with
just an EGLSurface, unless you meant to use the default EGL display.

However, there are a bunch of missing bits for that to work:
1) The generic OpenGL video output is but a PoC; I never had time and
motivation to complete it to production level.
2) A new plugin or an extension to the EGL plugin would be required.
3) A new libvlc API would be required.
4) I don't know the state of OpenGL ES support in VLC. I don't know how well
EGL works in ES mode (since you mention rPI, I don't suppose you want to use
desktop GL).

http://www.remlab.net/