[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] configure.ac: Use AC_PATH_PROGS for luac

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Sep 30 00:26:50 CEST 2016

Le jeudi 29 septembre 2016, 08:35:55 Steve Lhomme a écrit :
> > But that's the point. Don't touch the environment in configure (e.g. PATH)
> > - unless that change is exposed to the Makefile (e.g. CFLAGS). Otherwise,
> > the results of the configure tests are potentially invalidated.
>
> But that's exactly what we do in configure.ac, mess with the PATH to
> find the extra tools.

Yes and I think that's a bad idea. But I don't use extra/tools so I don't care
to fix, especially not if it means an argument with Rafaël, MacOS devs, or
whomever else.

> It's just not propagated after the configure
> call. So we end up discovering stuff but when running it, it doesn't
> work.
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=blob;f=configure.ac;h=671c8a1c93c100dbd
> f8d15cf795ffaf4c6cba222;hb=HEAD#l462
>
> We should be consistent one way or another.

Repeating yet again, but the only way to be consistent is to use
AC_CHECK_PROG(S), and keep off AC_PATH_PROG, since the first one is already used
internally.

http://www.remlab.net/