[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] configure.ac: Use AC_PATH_PROGS for luac

Steve Lhomme robux4 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 08:35:55 CEST 2016

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 3:27 AM, Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> wrote:
> Le mercredi 28 septembre 2016, 14:18:44 Steve Lhomme a écrit :

>> > It should be removed regardless. Adding extras/tools to PATH in configure
>> > is an ugly kludge.
>>
>> This is a problem. If you have tools in extra/tools they are detected
>> during a './configure' call but not during make or './config.status
>> --recheck'.
>
> But that's the point. Don't touch the environment in configure (e.g. PATH) -
> unless that change is exposed to the Makefile (e.g. CFLAGS). Otherwise, the
> results of the configure tests are potentially invalidated.

But that's exactly what we do in configure.ac, mess with the PATH to
find the extra tools. It's just not propagated after the configure
call. So we end up discovering stuff but when running it, it doesn't
work.
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=blob;f=configure.ac;h=671c8a1c93c100dbdf8d15cf795ffaf4c6cba222;hb=HEAD#l462

We should be consistent one way or another. I prefer to have
extra/tools programs have their local PATH set. Rather than having to
set a different environment whenever I build from a different folder
(I can use 4 different ones on a daily basis). Which effectively makes
sure we run the extra/tools from the matching folder anyway.