[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Use QT file browser functions which return URLs when possible.

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Jan 2 17:56:29 CET 2017

Le mercredi 28 décembre 2016, 11:53:57 Hugo Beauzée-Luyssen a écrit :
> Any opinion on what the correct solution would be? I'd be in favor of
> making getOpenFileNames always return a URL, and fixing the callsites
> accordingly.

I don't know how hard that would be and how consistently it can be
implemented.

URIs and file paths are factually separate and conflicting namespaces(*).
Therefore, they must be treated as separate things. That is why I reject
proposals of any kind that multiplexes URLs and paths.

I would tend to agree with you: the earlier the conversion from local path to
file URL, the better. Ideally, Qt would supply URLs and no conversion should
ever be done (until input thread creation, that is) in the VLC code base.

(*) Absolute paths and absolute URIs can be unambiguously segregated on
Windows, but in general not on other OSes. In any case, relative locations
cannot be reliably as URL or path.

http://www.remlab.net/