[vlc-devel] parsing Spherical Media RFC metadata from AVC, HEVC bitstreams

Chad Fogg chad.fogg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 20:53:09 CET 2017

Thank you both for your feedback:

Jean-Baptiste:

Are you suggesting that v1Spherical Media RFC will be ignored by players, and instead v2 only be considered ?

Francois:

It has been useful to keep essential format information embedded in elementary streams for program exchange and transcoding applications.  Ideally 3D frame packing and VR metadata would be part of VUI in the sequence (SPS) header, but these application formats came to attention after the core AVC specifications were designed.

Metadata in file containers or systems layer traditionally get lost in translation across equipment chains in production and broadcast studios.

We were reminded of this recently when we created HDR10 metadata.

Regards,

—Chad