[vlc-devel] Direction / Advice on ID3 Chapter Support

Isaac Park isaac.a.park at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 16:00:24 CET 2017

Hi,

More than 6 months ago I became interested in the status of chapter support
for audio files. At that point I did some investigation, found an open
ticket <https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/7485> and did most of the work
of implementing support for chapters in MP3 files. The biggest sticking
point was handling what the spec calls unsynchronisation
<http://id3.org/id3v2.3.0#The_unsynchronisation_scheme>. Because it is not
typically used in modern implementations I had no good way of testing my
implementation. Soon after I reached this point I had a hard drive failure
and after rebuilding never renegaded with this project (the code was safely
on GitHub).

Apologies for the long back story, but two questions while I try to decided
if I should polish this and submit it. First at what point should I submit
a patch? How much testing should I do on my own first? Second, is this even
something that's likely to get merged. It's a lot of code for a feature
that isn't widely used. Much of the code is more general purpose and could
be used replacing some usage of TagLib which is especially useful for
online streaming, but I'm not familiar enough to be able to really judge if
it's something the community will want.

Isaac Park