[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Update POTFILES.in

David Fuhrmann david.fuhrmann at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 17:49:36 CET 2017

Hi Remi,

> Am 25.11.2017 um 07:58 schrieb Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>:
>
> Le perjantaina 24. marraskuuta 2017, 23.52.48 EET David Fuhrmann a écrit :
>> To by honest, I would say as a general rule all macosx files should be in
>> the translation list.
>
> The point is that there is no general rule.

Well, what I want to propose is to establish this as a rule for modules/gui at least.
For macosx interface, I tried to always add all files in the past already.

> A decade ago, there was a script
> adding every source files. It failed miserably as it included certain files
> that really must not be scanned (generated files, sample code), and generated
> not fully reproducible results. And indeed, fact of the matter is that this
> patch did break the build…

I was actually wondering if someone already considered just writing a script to grep all source files for „_(", „_NS(" and one or two other pattern to list files which actually contain translatable strings?
Generated files should not fall into those patterns (likely), and indeed, sample files and directories such as contribs should be excluded.

But what I am most worried about is that - even if all tests pass - someone just adds a new translatable string somewhere, but forgets to add the file to POTFILES. Therefore I would still say for interface modules, all files should be present in the list from the beginning.

BR. David