[vlc-devel] VLC player 360 degree support in Vetinari 3.0.0-git Vetinari in Linux

Ajit Kumar ajitku1984 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 08:47:27 CEST 2017

Hi,
      I have cloned  repository videolan\vlc on github ( synced master to
tip of tree)
I compiled it on my ubuntu PC and wanted to check if 360 degree support
works on the compiled build.I have referred wiki on vlc for the compilation
and it has compiled successfully using below configure option.

./configure --prefix=/home/akumar5/vlc  --enable-ffmpeg  --enable-flac
--with-ffmpeg-tree=/home/akumar5/work/FFmpeg  --enable-x11 --enable-xvideo
--disable-gtk --enable-sdl --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame
--enable-mad --enable-libdvbpsi --enable-a52 --enable-dca --enable-libmpeg2
--enable-dvdnav --enable-faad --enable-vorbis --enable-ogg --enable-theora
--enable-faac--enable-mkv --enable-freetype --enable-fribidi --enable-speex
--enable-flac --enable-livedotcom --with-livedotcom-tree=/usr/lib/live
--enable-caca --enable-skins --enable-skins2 --enable-alsa
--disable-kde--disable-qt --enable-wxwindows --enable-ncurses --enable-asa
--enable-release --enable-gles2

The problem i am facing is my compiled linux build  does not work as per
expectation on 360 videos like eagle360 degree from this link below.
Though,It works flawlessly on the compiled player for windows platform
"vlc-3.0.0-git-win32.exe
<https://people.videolan.org/%7Ejb/Builds/360/vlc-3.0.0-git-win32.exe> "
readily available in the link below.

https://people.videolan.org/~jb/Builds/360/

I am trying to reverse engineer 360 degree support on vlc player for my
understanding of the support need. I am trying to get it working for linux
platfrom , which i am not absolutely sure was tried earlier and need inputs
on what i could be missing in my build procedure.

Any inputs regarding same is appreciated.