[vlc-devel] VLC player 360 degree support in Vetinari 3.0.0-git Vetinari in Linux

Thomas Guillem thomas at gllm.fr
Fri Sep 29 10:43:07 CEST 2017

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017, at 08:47, Ajit Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>       I have cloned  repository videolan\vlc on github ( synced master
>       to tip of tree)> I compiled it on my ubuntu PC and wanted to check if 360 degree
> support works on the compiled build.I have referred wiki on vlc for
> the compilation and it has compiled successfully using below
> configure option.>
> ./configure --prefix=/home/akumar5/vlc  --enable-ffmpeg  --enable-flac
> --with-ffmpeg-tree=/home/akumar5/work/FFmpeg  --enable-x11 --enable-
> xvideo --disable-gtk --enable-sdl --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-
> mp3lame --enable-mad --enable-libdvbpsi --enable-a52 --enable-dca --enable-
> libmpeg2 --enable-dvdnav --enable-faad --enable-vorbis --enable-ogg
> --enable-theora --enable-faac--enable-mkv --enable-freetype --enable-
> fribidi --enable-speex --enable-flac --enable-livedotcom --with-livedotcom-
> tree=/usr/lib/live --enable-caca --enable-skins --enable-skins2 --enable-
> alsa --disable-kde--disable-qt --enable-wxwindows --enable-ncurses --enable-
> asa --enable-release --enable-gles2>
>
> The problem i am facing is my compiled linux build  does not work
> as per expectation on 360 videos like eagle360 degree from this
> link below. Though,It works flawlessly on the compiled player for
> windows platform "vlc-3.0.0-git-win32.exe[1] " readily available in
> the link below.>
>
> https://people.videolan.org/~jb/Builds/360/[2]

> I am trying to reverse engineer 360 degree support on vlc player for
> my understanding of the support need. I am trying to get it working
> for linux platfrom , which i am not absolutely sure was tried earlier
> and need inputs on what i could be missing in my build procedure.>
> Any inputs regarding same is appreciated.

Hi,

360 is working on every OS/platform. You just need to make sure direct3d
is used on Windows, and OpenGL is used on other platforms.With a default configuration, OpenGL/Direct3D should be built and used
as a default video output.

Links:

  1. https://people.videolan.org/%7Ejb/Builds/360/vlc-3.0.0-git-win32.exe
  2. https://people.videolan.org/%7Ejb/Builds/360/