[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] videotoolbox: always abort in case of BadDataErr

Thomas Guillem thomas at gllm.fr
Mon Apr 23 08:40:00 CEST 2018

On Sat, Apr 21, 2018, at 22:19, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le vendredi 20 avril 2018, 19:52:10 EEST Thomas Guillem a écrit :
> > > This sort of makes sense for offline records. But fior live streams, bad
> > > data could very well be some transient problem.
> >
> > Yes, unfortunately this commit disables VT playback with some of my dumped
> > ts samples. But there are more and more BadData coming from offline files.
> > I prefer the safe way.
>
> On the one hand, if disabling VT is safe, then "the safe way" is to disable
> hardware decoding altogether for affected codecs. It avoids glitches in this
> case.

We can't disable h264. It only happen with some encoding configuration (that we can find in the wild). We could detect those cases but there will be always a case we don't handle. That's why we would still need this commit. And Apple could do an OS update to fix those cases too (but for that, I need to fill a radar I guess).