[vlc-devel] GSoC 2018 Idea `libplacebo Improvement'

Thomas Guillem thomas at gllm.fr
Tue Mar 20 21:03:48 CET 2018

Hello,

Niklas, the creator of libplacebo will know how to respond.

As far as Metal is concerned. We need to have a discussion about using
or not MoltenVk since the Vulkan support is quite advanced in
libplacebo now.
The main goal of using a new vout for ios/macOS is to allow direct
rendering with SW decoders. For that you need to be able to permanently
map a GPU buffer to the CPU and give this buffer to the decoder
(avcodec).
You'll need to check if it's possible with MoltenVk or Metal.
For information, we can't do it with OpenGL since this feature was added
in OpenGL 4.4 and Apple stopped updating the OpenGL  in macOS/iOS (that
is stuck to OpenGL 3 or so).