[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] aout: export used module internal name

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Mar 27 17:32:31 CEST 2018

Le tiistaina 27. maaliskuuta 2018, 18.20.07 EEST Thomas Guillem a écrit :
> "No. Pass-through belongs in per-device configuration, where it always was
> and still is, not in API, and even less so in a non-device-specific API."
>
> So, do you prefer doing like macOS ? Duplicate every passthrough capable
> devices and add "(Encoded)" to the device name ?

I cannot state a preference out of a single option.

So far, I know only two options: let the OS manage it (not possible on current
Windows), or do the MacOS thing.

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018, at 12:28, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > I have already pointed out several issues and I am not interested in
> > discussing what a stable release is.
>
> The audio plan for 3.0 was to add a more convenient to have passthrough
> playback. I though that doing like pulseaudio will be the way to go. It is
> not... I just realized that every video players are disabling passthrough
> by default on Windows, lot of users are complaining.

That's what VLC used to do as well, and it is trivial to revert to that, by
just changing the defaults.

We don't change APIs in stable releases, nor do we add new non-critical
features. And sorry but switching to pass-through *live* is everything except
critical.

--
雷米‧德尼-库尔蒙
https://www.remlab.net/