[vlc-devel] vlc-devel Digest, Vol 137, Issue 26

Ilkka Ollakka ileoo at videolan.org
Fri Oct 19 09:37:58 CEST 2018

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 06:15:08PM -0700, Nick Briggs wrote:

> I may be able to test on MacOS, though my primary machine is stuck back on 10.11 -- I have access to another that can run High Sierra or Mojave, so I may be able to give it go there.
>
> I looked at both my FreeBSD (11.2) and OpenBSD (6.3) boxes -- attempting to compile the vlc git head on either of those fails.
> Are they supposed to be supported?

I don't think anyone has been keeping eye on those, so most likely they can fail on completely separated things.

> OpenBSD compiles fail because there's no clock_nanosleep():
>
> posix/thread.c:595:12: error: implicit declaration of function 'clock_nanosleep' is invalid in C99 [-Werror,-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
>     while (clock_nanosleep(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, TIMER_ABSTIME, &ts, NULL) == EINTR);
>            ^
>
> I suppose one could fake that out with nanosleep(), though that's not ideal.
>
> FreeBSD compiles fail because there's no strerror_l():
>
>   CC       posix/error.lo
> posix/error.c:51:23: error: implicit declaration of function 'strerror_l' is invalid in C99
>       [-Werror,-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
>     const char *buf = strerror_l(errnum, loc);
>                       ^
>
> Patching around that does manage to create an executable that can at least run "vlc --help" without error.

if those patches are trivial, you should send them to list, just to show if it's trivial to have FreeBSD compile from head.

> I haven't done any VLC related development in about 10 years -- what's the best way to pick up a consistent set of your patches that will apply to the git head (I think your last one failed when I tried to apply it on its own) ?

https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-October/121595.html is
the newest version of MSG_TRUNC/MSG_PEEK patch that should apply on top of git
head.

--
Ilkka Ollakka