[vlc-devel] libvlc, modify replay gain setting and third party application

Matthieu Gallien gallien.matthieu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 22:19:54 CET 2019

Hello,

On vendredi 11 janvier 2019 08:55:43 CET Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is no API for that, and adding one is not obviously such a good idea.
> There are a number of issues. For a start, VLC has always disabled the
> option by default, so there is no understanding of how well this works.
> Then having more choices than on & off makes little sense to most. And
> lastly, it won't work when pass-through is negotiated.

Thanks for your answer (and others in the thread). I missed most answers due
to me forgetting to ask CC and not being subscribed (I have fixed that).

From the different replies to my mail, I have currently decided to see if I
could test this feature by using command line arguments passed to libvlc_new
function.

I would like to optionally propose to the user to specify :
* no replay gain ever ;
* replay gain and in case both modes are possible to prefer album gain ;
* replay gain and in case both modes are possible to prefer single track gain.

I would always automatically fallback to any of the gain if only one exists in
the metadata.

If and only if there is a consensus about the possibility to use another way
to set this when calling libvlc, I will be happy to work on it. In the
meantime, I will work through libvlc_new parameters.