[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] vout: start before creating the thread

Steve Lhomme robux4 at ycbcr.xyz
Thu Jan 31 16:26:54 CET 2019

On 31/01/2019 13:58, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That's a ridiculous argument. VLC plugins have always been such that
> they would br run on any thread but not be re-entered. And that's a
> consequence of VLC always being multi-thread-based rather event-based.
> If you want an event based media framework, you have the wrong project.
>
> Not to mention that the GL provider and GL surface abstractions were
> specifically designed to support multi-threading, unlike their
> predecessors. Or that I need the changes to fix outstanding issues
> assigned to me.

In the case of Qt it requires all OpenGL calls done with its context to
be done in the same thread, that's a performance thing and to make sure
they don't end up with areas not displayed from time to time. It's
possible to get around it by using some flag and do the whole drawing
part instead of Qt. But that's tricky for any external app that might
want to use VLC.