[vlc-devel] CVE-2019-13602 Heap Based Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Jul 17 08:22:56 CEST 2019

Hi,

I was alluding to the nonsensical patch for broken subtitles, committed, pushed and backported in an interval of 3 minutes, which both you and I thought was inadequate.

Here, the bug reporter sent a clear report with test case. He was ignored for days on, in spite of pings. Eventually, he contacted me directly so I tried to make a patch, proof read it, pushed it and waited several days for comments. Nobody commented so I backported.

Then weeks later, François attacks me for introducing a vulnerability in that fix and for creating a CVE. My patch is ugly and wrong but I don't see a vulnerability and I definitely did not create a CVE, though I can see that somebody else did - probably the original bug reporter.