[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] modules: store object name in a variable

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Mar 5 11:04:02 CET 2019

Hi,

There is no such thing as absolute thread safety, except for trivial useless constructs.

Accessing object variables, flags and logger for an object whose nature and ownership is known may be safe, e.g. getting input or output objects from playlist.

Accessing an unknown object is not. As already noted, variables, logging and flags are not thread-safe in the general case. Besides, how do you get to that object in the first place? You cannot safely manifest a reference out of thin air.