[vlc-devel] OpenHMD branch?

Lomax lomax at clickworkorange.com
Fri May 17 13:55:08 CEST 2019

Hi Alexandre,

Many thanks for this, very helpful! I did manage to build Adrien Maglo's
HMD-instancing branch before I saw your message, but your branch seems a
little more up to date; in particular it includes the Vulkan
video_output module. I am able to run an example 360 stereo video (after
injecting the required meta data tags[1]) using the OpenGL output and it
looks stunning on the Rift, but performance is absolutely terrible - at
full resolution VLC is unable to progress beyond the first frame and
head movements are extremely jerky. Using a greatly scaled down video
(1280x720) it does play, but at something like 0.2fps, and head
movements are still far too jerky.

I was curious to try the new "Vulkan" renderer so checked out your
branch and managed to get this to build with Vulkan support (after yet
more dependency wrangling) but when selecting this as video output the
3D transformations are no longer applied; I just get the two panoramic
views one above the other, as I would when playing a video without the
spatialmedia meta data. Switching back to OpenGL makes it work again,
but at slideshow speeds. Clearly, I have underestimated the GPU grunt
required to handle this and will need to get a much more powerful
machine! Any pointers as to how high I should set the bar? I'm a bit
rusty on the GPU charts...

Best regards,

Lomax

1: https://github.com/google/spatial-media/tree/master/spatialmedia