[vlc-devel] OpenHMD branch?

Lomax lomax at clickworkorange.com
Sun May 19 18:26:26 CEST 2019

Hi Alexandre,

Thank you for spending time on this - don't worry about my long rambling
post from Friday; if there's any useful information there then great,
but the questions are not so important. In answer to your questions re.
usage, I'm working on a public exhibition at a "marine knowledge centre"
in Sweden (a registered non-profit), where the staff are involved also
in practical science - including diving to document, sample and survey
the marine life and seabed conditions. They have a very nice
stereoscopic 360 underwater camera (not sure of the model but can check
if you want) but they have no means to show its footage to the museum
visitors - which is where I come in: amongst other things* I've been
tasked to build a permanent exhibit with which visitors can view this
material. I chose, perhaps foolishly, to use the Oculus Rift CV1,
thinking it was a well established product with plenty of support. Only
afterwards did I find out that it was nothing of the sort, and that
indeed the whole area of stereoscopic 360 video is severely
underdeveloped. Only proprietary (Windows/MacOS) applications seem to be
available, which would be unsuitable for use in an exhibition; no user
interaction should be required to launch the video, nor should the
computer, or any OS or application GUI elements be visible, and the
system needs to be reliable - we just want the video to play in a
continuous loop from when the computer is switched on until it's
switched off, and nothing else. This, and the fact that it is open
source, is why I went with VLC - thinking the command line interface
should make it easy to get it to start playing on boot (and it was), and
that we could tweak anything else we might want to adjust in the source
if needed. So our application is basically as simple as could be;
there's no interactivity, no audio, and no motion tracking beyond
rotation, and the material is pretty "standard" (at least as far as any
standards are established). But I've now spent 50hrs+ on this, and
€1500+ on hardware, yet have nothing to show, which means I'll have some
tough explaining to do...

I've taken some quick snaps of what I see[1-4] - please let me know if
there's any specific information I can provide which may help getting to
the bottom(!) of this.

Cheers,

Lomax

*) For example, I've also built a remote controlled submerged camera out
in the water, based on an Axis PTZ PoE camera, which can be controlled
with an analogue joystick from inside a mock "submarine". This is 2D HD
and works beautifully on a Pi3 connected to a curved 27" monitor.

1: https://i.imgur.com/WGzfcY4.jpg
2: https://i.imgur.com/bAy39Wy.jpg
3: https://i.imgur.com/jWTbBxn.jpg
4: https://i.imgur.com/SswgW8T.jpg