[vlc-devel] Request for suggestions for integrating JS engine in VLC

Aakash Singh 17aakashsingh1999 at gmail.com
Mon May 27 06:42:40 CEST 2019

Hello
I am Aakash Singh and I will be working towards integrating JS engine in
VLC for scripting purposes and this will replace the Lua engine.
HTTP, telnet and console are three *standard* interfaces included with Lua.
I don't see any reason why they should be built on top of the scripting
engine and not be independent modules when the functionality they provide
are pretty standard.
In the Lua implementation, they are registered as individual submodules and
whenever a request to open a certain interface is made, the interface open
function checks for the specific interface(http, telnet, console or any
other) and then loads the corresponding Lua script *along with doing some
additional work for the standard interfaces*. (So, if the 3 standard
interfaces are implemented as independent modules, the scripting engine
will still support loading new interfaces supplied by the user.)
Any thoughts on this, why they should or shouldn't be built on top of the
scripting engine?
Regards
Aakash Singh
(Blurrrb)