[vlc-devel] Request for suggestions for integrating JS engine in VLC

Thomas Guillem thomas at gllm.fr
Mon May 27 08:16:59 CEST 2019

On Mon, May 27, 2019, at 06:43, Aakash Singh wrote:
> Hello
> I am Aakash Singh and I will be working towards integrating JS engine in VLC for scripting purposes and this will replace the Lua engine.
> HTTP, telnet and console are three *standard* interfaces included with Lua. I don't see any reason why they should be built on top of the scripting engine and not be independent modules when the functionality they provide are pretty standard.
> In the Lua implementation, they are registered as individual submodules and whenever a request to open a certain interface is made, the interface open function checks for the specific interface(http, telnet, console or any other) and then loads the corresponding Lua script *along with doing some additional work for the standard interfaces*. (So, if the 3 standard interfaces are implemented as independent modules, the scripting engine will still support loading new interfaces supplied by the user.)
> Any thoughts on this, why they should or shouldn't be built on top of the scripting engine?
> Regards
> Aakash Singh

I don't know at all why these modules are done in lua and not in C.

But if you want to change it, you will have to rewrite them in C. It may be longer than rewriting them in JS.
Anyway, this should not be the priority of your GSOC work. You should focus on rewriting the youtube module in JS first. Then we will see.

BTW, I think the lua rc module will soon be gone since it has duplicate functionalities with our oldrc modules.