[vlc-devel] Request for suggestions for integrating JS engine in VLC

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon May 27 16:54:12 CEST 2019

   Hi,

Le maanantaina 27. toukokuuta 2019, 7.42.40 EEST Aakash Singh a écrit :
> Hello
> I am Aakash Singh and I will be working towards integrating JS engine in
> VLC for scripting purposes and this will replace the Lua engine.
> HTTP, telnet and console are three *standard* interfaces included with Lua.

Most of the work in switching from Lua would be in porting the meta, playlist
and SD scripts anyhow. So I'm not clear what point you are trying to make.

The Lua RC/telnet interface is a single interface, not two and it already has
an alternative native implementation.

The HTTP interface used to have a native implementation, with fewer bugs and
TLS support, than the Lua implementation. But it's probably a lot of work to
bring it back by now.

> I don't see any reason why they should be built on top of the scripting
> engine and not be independent modules when the functionality they provide
> are pretty standard.
(...)
> Any thoughts on this, why they should or shouldn't be built on top of the
> scripting engine?

I cannot think of a good reason for RC/telnet to be written in Lua. It's
created more problems than it's solved.

But HTTP has always had a scripting language to generate the content. First
the custom so-called Fenrir RPN, and then Lua.
What alternative do you suggest here?

Also extensions are almost the same thing as interfaces, also need to be
ported, eliminated or ported to native code.

--
Реми Дёни-Курмон
http://www.remlab.net/