[vlc-devel] RFC: Expose gcrypt through vlc_crypto.h ?

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed May 29 15:37:40 CEST 2019

Hi,

The counter argument is that we don't clobber LibVLC core with a large dependency. I already added and then was rightfully forced by the others to remove gcrypt in the past for that exact same reason. Currently, LibVLC core only depends on system/compiler libraries (c, rt, pthread, iconv, resolv, etc) or substitutes (idn).

The argument against putting a generic API is that you have to link tons loads of algorithms, regardless of how many you actually need, since the unused algorithms cannot be eliminated at link time.