[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] posix: rely on F_DUPFD_CLOEXEC

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Sep 24 22:13:16 CEST 2019

Le tiistaina 24. syyskuuta 2019, 22.39.59 EEST Thomas Guillem a écrit :
> > Remind me who was complaining about Denis' block work
>
> Complaining ? I just did a technical review. I said that I didn't like to
> duplicate 2000 lines of code, Denis didn't like it either, but there was no
> other good solution.

And you also complained that the patch did not handle side data even though
nobody can explain to date how that even fits with the data buffer concept.

> >Is there any active volunteer committer that you have not picked on in
> > the last semester?
>
> That is called a review, no ?

Call it people review if you want, that's still picking on people and that's
still damaging the overall work ambience.

You're only supposed to do *code* review here.

> > Meanwhile, did I pick on a volunteer in public?  Multiple times?
>
> For me, that's called asking nicely.

Asking nicely hardly makes it less demotivating and mood-souring.

> > Did I misrepresent a vote of the general assembly to support my own
> > agenda?
>
> I don't remember. Could you elaborate?

When did we vote to have mandatory review and where?

The secretary organized an electronic general assembly ballot about Gitlab
usage. There was never a vote on mandatory review in the GA or the TC. Indeed,
everytime the idea has been proposed, it was promptly shot down as impractical
if not demotivating.

> > Did I flame a volunteer reviewer for non-technical reasons?
>
> Asking to go through a review process is a technical reason

That has nothing to do with flaming the reviewer. It's utterly hypocritical to
bully people into mandatory review on the one hand, and bully reviewers into
giving up on the other hand.

> > Did I  flame a volunteer bug triager for closing bugs with technical
> > motivation?
> I complained about deleting bug, but closing it.

No. You complained about both, at different times.

> > What exactly did I do, other than not agree with you?
>
> - You threatened to sue a student (Marvin). What is wrong with you ?

I did not, and what this presumably refers to is much older than this
semester.

> - You tried to sue the Videolan President (j-b), by the way, we didn't hear
> any news from it.

That is a blatant lie and provocative slander, and yet you dare to blame for
souring the mood. You are totally out of line again.

> - You create vulnerability issues against your own team
> https://www.remlab.net/op/vlc-hls-ua-inject.shtml. Sorry but the "unknown
> reason" is obvious, you were never able to understand each other with
> Francois.

And that is also a lie. I did not create that vulnerability. I found it and
fixed it years ago. François reintroduced it, I re-reported it, waited for it
to be fixed again and released again (even though it took waaaay more than the
standard 90 days), and only then published an analysis.

If you have a problem with that, complain to François.

> - You are very aggressive with new contributors.

I am not aggressive with new contributors. I am dry with people who make me
waste my free time by ignoring review comments, or worse, attempting to
bullshit their way around the review comments, though.

> I can't count
> the number of time where I have to help external contributors privately
> because they don't understand your review. You are a very talented C
> developers with a lot of experience, and yet you can't understand that you
> should help interns or juniors developers instead of being harsh with them.

You are paid to work on this project, and you can't seem to understand or
accept that reviewing and mentoring are different things, and that volunteers
don't necessarily have the time, motivation and/or skills for one, the other
or both.

Once again, if you think your reviews are better, you are more than welcome to
take care before I do. I rarely review quickly anyway.

> - You never admit that you are wrong, so we all have to guess that if you
> didn't respond to a review answer for one week, it mean you were wrong and
> we can push. Being wrong on the internet is OK you know, I do that a lot
> personally.

That's not true. There's plenty of instances in the archives where I
ostensibly changed my mind or even explicitly admitted to making mistakes, bad
judgement calls, etc.

It's also ridiculous to pin-point me for this when other people here rarely if
ever concede mistakes or apologies.

http://www.remlab.net/