[vlc-devel] Regarding the HTTP POST implementation

Aniketh Girish anikethgireesh at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 19:18:21 CEST 2019

Hi,

Recently, I have been trying to add POST support to VLC(
https://wiki.videolan.org/Bounties/#HTTP_POST_support). But I am still
having a hard time understanding where should it go and how user use case
should be. Thomas suggested that it, we need the POST API to get the data
from the cloudstorage functionality(GSoC work) which is yet to be merged I
believe. But still, I don't have a clear idea of how and where it should be
implemented. But then Hugo suggested, Adding POST to access/http/ might be
a more future proof way, we might eventually use that private API as the
public HTTP API. Also suggested that why not include libcurl to do all sort
of HTTP related functionalities, at least the POST here. Any suggestions or
ideas on how to proceed with the HTTP POST and how to the use case of the
POST implementation would be?

Though I personally feel, it should be better to have our own networking
protocol implementations as such rather than using an external lib, keeping
in mind  that if at all we need to tweak an implementation for better
performance or tweak the implementation for streaming alone(libcurl is a
generic lib for any usecase web, streaming etc) and such, it should be
better to have our own implementations- given we have someone to look after
and maintain such code.

Cheers.
--
Aniketh Girish