[vlc-devel] RFC: OpenGL filter design overview

Alexandre Janniaux ajanni at videolabs.io
Mon Aug 31 11:05:55 CEST 2020

Hi,

Thank you for the feedbacks. :)

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 02:39:43PM +0300, RĂ©mi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Hi,
>
> AFAIU, (7) requires converting all filters to use ops. I'm all for that, but that sounds like a pretty big undertaking of its own.

Indeed, I've already done most of it, only the converters
with 10 differents pf_filter are missing. I was stuck at
choosing the correct design for it and you suggested me
the correct way to do that so I'll finish this soon.

(7) can also be partially done by the patch I've already
sent but since everyone wants something unified right now,
I'll wait until I send the big refactor patchset.

> And then it implies that the module loader and VLC object are completely disentangled. Considering how much backlash (to put it mildly and politely) I received when I progressed that last year, I have no plans to ever finish it, and it's *not* finished. I don't have the details on top of my head, but at least the forced flag is still entangled.

I'm not sure I remember this backlash correctly, but I'll
read what was said back then. Was it about the vlc object
constructors and destructors or the adding of `_ops` in
general?

I agree with the general idea of disentangling module loader
and VLC object, but the end goal is not clear enough for me
to completely describe this. I'll open a ticket on this and
track the discussions you had but maybe you could provide a
more precise goal as soon as I've gathered what I can.

Thanks for the note on the forced flag. I think it gets
further than the scope of this work of OpenGL but that's
indeed something to track.

Regards,
--
Alexandre Janniaux