[vlc-devel] Releasing 3.0.12

Pierre Ynard linkfanel at yahoo.fr
Thu Nov 12 08:09:56 CET 2020

> In general, I don't think YouTube is a factor of consideration for
> stable release, as it breaks all the time. I mean, realistically, how
> long until it breaks again after 3.0.12 is released?

That's an unrefutable presumption... And in fact the track record shows
that total loss of functionality is rather rare. My maintainer's opinion
was one of favorable prospects, hence why I made that point. You're free
to discard opinions and prospects though.

> So that leaves a regression in the Qt GUI plugin or in Qt5 itself
> as the most likely triggers. It could well be a latent bug in the
> Qt plugin that became visible with a new Qt5 version, so it is not
> necessarily surprising that you cannot find anything in the change
> log.

Then we should ask affected users to report their Qt version for
starters.

The change would also involve distributions then. Do we have an idea
of a timeline of when the issue flared up, and of what distributions
seem affected? Maybe we can ask affected users to file bugs with their
distributions too?

Is anyone aware of recent changes in Qt that might be related to that?
Can we ask Qt developers for advice or file a bug with them?

--
Pierre Ynard
"Une âme dans un corps, c'est comme un dessin sur une feuille de papier."