[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] thread: add a function to give names to threads

Steve Lhomme robux4 at ycbcr.xyz
Mon Nov 16 08:31:52 CET 2020

On 2020-11-13 19:29, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> WTF? This was rejected by two people for multiple reasons.

This was not rejected by two people.

- Alexandre on NSThread, Marvin confirmed it's not needed
- Alexandre on calling pthread_setname_np because it's less code, well
no they all have different signatures
- Alexandre on always truncating to 15, no need for extra string
manipulation when we don't need to

That leaves only you:
- saying the documentation is wrong, when it's literally the Linux verbatim
- saying Android specific code is not specific to Android, contrary to
what currently exists in master and what the latest Google code does and
document (they don't truncate and reject anything bigger than 15, unlike
Linux)

The only change that could be done is calling pthread_setname_np() on
regular Linux rather than pctrl for consistency. But I don't know if it
depends on a version of pthread, unlike pctrl which should be on all
Linux we support, even the ones not supporting this control.