[vlc-devel] Releasing 3.0.12

Pierre Ynard linkfanel at yahoo.fr
Mon Nov 16 12:03:27 CET 2020

> No. It's an empirical observation that it has kept breaking, and the
> current process of making VLC stable releases is not sufficiently
> reactive to address that.

> Everything is relative. In comparison to most other VLC features, it
> keeps breaking.
>
> I'm not saying that we shouldn't fix it. I'm saying that it can't be a
> criteria for making releases within the current process, even though
> it is a popular feature.

So the current release process is not reactive enough, and that's your
argument for saying it can't be made more reactive to YouTube issues.
Hopefully that's not a self-fulfilling prophecy.

As I said, you're free to personally give no value to educated opinions
and guesses about current and future YouTube developments, on the basis
that they only have uncertain relative value; but I don't subscribe to
this philosophy.

You're also free to personally give no or negative value - for release
management purposes or other - to a feature that might break and become
only partly functional after a while, or to a release process that tries
but falls short, on the basis that it's broken. But I tend to favor a
more discretionary approach.

--
Pierre Ynard
"Une âme dans un corps, c'est comme un dessin sur une feuille de papier."