[vlc-devel] Some commits have disappeared

Pierre Ynard linkfanel at yahoo.fr
Tue Nov 17 16:18:31 CET 2020

> The CoC says no revert without disucussion (or at least it did when it
> was voted on and until last I checked). I fail to see a CoC violation.

Okay, that's not what it says now though. So maybe this discrepancy is
one more thing to clear up and resolve, but it's also interesting that
the CoC would itself become a point of argument and rule lawyering. As I
said, we don't need CoC rules to be mindful of basic care and good will
when acting on a disagreement.

> As for my "grudge", I'd like to see your face if the OP discarded your
> review by implying that you can't read code. And don't tell me you
> haven't noticed after I've raised it however many times... And that's
> just the last of a litany of review comment discarding and occasional
> offensive counter-review stanzas.

I'm glad that you ask, because that's an important point I'd like to
make too. My face would be rather unphased, like the many times in the
past I've had to extend patience, compassion, restraint, and make the
effort of separating emotions from the concern at hand, in the face of
negative and harsh reviews or comments - sometimes from you.

I've certainly noticed you raising it. I just haven't found what you
raised that offensive or such a big deal myself. Maybe it's because I
wasn't on the end of it, or maybe it's because I would have handled it
differently myself, or maybe it's because I'm just not you.

> But apparently, that's just a minor communication problem, to
> paraphrase Thomas. Well no, it's repeated trolling. And I'll no longer
> tolerate being the only named person here whose bad behaviour is
> singled out in public here. Enough is enough.

You're not the only person getting called out. Not by me, so not at all,
and you yourself have quite been able to call out other people's code,
behavior or transgression of rules.

But you say "only named person here", so maybe you want or need me to
be fair by naming other people: I said that Thomas's bringing up of a
CoC violation was too forward-leaning and insensitive, and that Paul's
condemnation was unfairly aggressive. I said that Alexandre's call to
move the discussion to a private mailing list could give the wrong
message, and I didn't say it then but I was certainly irked by J-B's
comment in the same sense. And if you really need me to publicly state
it, Steve's comment about being able to read code did strike me as out
of place and contemptuous.

You're not the only one feeling pain or anger from interactions in this
project. You're not the only one getting public shaming or reprimands.
And maybe that's just part of it, or maybe it shouldn't be. Anyway, the
point isn't really whether it's a minor communication problem; it's
whether you choose to make it one and leave it at that, or to cope with
it by blowing it up and escalating it into indeed a major problem. What
do you offer to contribute to resolve your problem with Steve that
you've had enough of?

--
Pierre Ynard
"Une âme dans un corps, c'est comme un dessin sur une feuille de papier."