[vlc-devel] Deprecating the VLM

Thomas Guillem thomas at gllm.fr
Mon Sep 21 21:50:21 CEST 2020

Before doing any VLM change, I suggest we found a proper replacement.

Such replacement should come with a proper usage to help identify all our needs.

JB suggested to me to continue the work from Hamza for the upnp server and identify how it should interact with the core.
>From a quick overlook, once the server is set up, it can serve multiple files in // coming from our VLC medialib. If it serves multiples files in //, it means, multiple playlist/player support.

We can imagine a module interface that spawn a server, and create a player/playlist when needed, but such design is quite limited regarding interactions with other UIs. I think that is why the playlist repo patchset was brought.

We could also imagine a new module capability "server", that spawn a server (upnpd, httpd) and send new playlists to the CORE via some callbacks/ops. These playlist will be available to every interface so that they can: interact with the playlist, or drop it (to  release some resources taken by the server).

Best,
Thomas