[vlc-devel] Deprecating the VLM

Pierre Ynard linkfanel at yahoo.fr
Tue Sep 22 00:48:13 CEST 2020

> We can imagine a module interface that spawn a server, and create
> a player/playlist when needed, but such design is quite limited
> regarding interactions with other UIs. I think that is why the
> playlist repo patchset was brought.
>
> We could also imagine a new module capability "server", that spawn
> a server (upnpd, httpd) and send new playlists to the CORE via some
> callbacks/ops. These playlist will be available to every interface so
> that they can: interact with the playlist, or drop it (to release some
> resources taken by the server).

I agree, the point you bring up is quite relevant. If a server serves
multiple pipelines to remote users in parallel, what do other interfaces
have to do with it? Can't it keep sole ownership of those playlists or
pipelines? It certainly seems simpler this way.

And yes I feel somewhat insecure and uncomfortable about having no
centralized access to it; I wonder if it can even work. And even though
a VLM 2.0 - done right this time - would be improvement, I don't really
want this to end into a VLM 2.0 at all.

There can be a need for central monitoring and control over what's going
on; but that's a slightly different concept from an interface module.

--
Pierre Ynard
"Une âme dans un corps, c'est comme un dessin sur une feuille de papier."