[vlc-devel] Use case for the youtube-dl filter?

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Sep 24 08:30:21 CEST 2020

Le torstaina 24. syyskuuta 2020, 1.48.10 EEST Ross Finlayson a écrit :
> But I’m struggling to figure out why one would want youtube-dl’s
> functionality embedded within VLC.  What benefit would this give you?

You just open the URL and VLC will show the playlist or open the media.

> For most videos, youtube-dl works by downloading the video track, then the
> audio track, then merging them together (into a .mp4 or .mkv file).  VLC
> could not play the stream until youtube-dl has finished its work.

YoutubeDL has extraction, download and postprocessing. This VLC patchset only
uses extraction, as does mpv already.

> VLC can already play a YouTube stream directly, from its URL.

Yes. VLC supports YouTube, except when it does not. But it does not support
hundreds of other sites and services that YoutubeDL does.

Antoine had the foresight to add Lua parsers 13 years ago with the other
Pierre's help, before YoutubeDL was even a thing. But I think it's about time
to admit that that plan failed. We simply don't have the people to contribute
and maintain those parsers, nor the automated test cases.

--
Реми Дёни-Курмон
http://www.remlab.net/