[vlc-devel] Use case for the youtube-dl filter?

Pierre Ynard linkfanel at yahoo.fr
Thu Sep 24 09:38:31 CEST 2020

> Yes. VLC supports YouTube, except when it does not. But it does not
> support hundreds of other sites and services that YoutubeDL does.
>
> Antoine had the foresight to add Lua parsers 13 years ago with the
> other Pierre's help, before YoutubeDL was even a thing. But I think
> it's about time to admit that that plan failed. We simply don't have
> the people to contribute and maintain those parsers, nor the automated
> test cases.

I wouldn't presume of what the plan was, and what the aim and ambition
were, to say that it failed. It's especially not a failure if other
people build upon the concept we put forward to create a next generation
that's even better.

As for VLC still, personally I have had the resources to contribute
and maintain scripts for several major sites that I use: youtube,
dailymotion, vimeo, soundcloud, vocaroo. Those work and are not a
failure. Then there's a release management issue for in-tree scripts;
and indeed that's a factor towards an external youtube-dl.

I think the plan was also for an external lua script ecosystem. I don't
know that this part of the plan failed.

--
Pierre Ynard
"Une âme dans un corps, c'est comme un dessin sur une feuille de papier."