[vlc-devel] vlc build problem ... recompile with -fPIC ??

Mahesh Velankar mvelanka at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 12:41:14 UTC 2022

Lyndon Brown,

Thanks for taking time to guide me in the proper direction.
I followed your guideline and did this

   1. created subfolder build
   2. cd build
   3. export
   PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/home/myself/Downloads/ffmpeg-5.1/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig"
   4. ../bootstrap
   5. ../configure --disable-lua --disable-xcb --disable-qt --disable-a52
   6. make

I still got this error:

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libsrt.a(srt_c_api.cpp.o): relocation
R_X86_64_PC32 against symbol
`_ZTVSt9basic_iosIcSt11char_traitsIcEE@@GLIBCXX_3.4'
can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
Makefile:13024: recipe for target 'libaccess_srt_plugin.la' failed
make[4]: *** [libaccess_srt_plugin.la] Error 1

Please see
Thanks