[vlc-devel] [RFC] Raise minimum required macOS version

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Feb 21 15:30:45 UTC 2022

Le maanantaina 21. helmikuuta 2022, 17.09.09 EET Marvin Scholz a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> given that when we announced VLC 4.x we were expecting it to be released
> sooner, and it being in development for quite a while now, the planned
> minimum macOS version we aimed to support, macOS 10.10 (Yosemite) which was
> released in October 2014 is now already nearly 8 years old.
>
> Personally I think that the maintenance burden for such an old OS for a not
> even released version of VLC is too much. We should at least require macOS
> 10.11, which works on nearly all 2012+ Macs IIRC or even a more recent
> macOS version like 10.12.
>
> After all people who really need support for ancient macOS have the option
> to just use VLC 3 for the time being…

You can make the same argument for literally any OS version that is not its
latest one. Conversely, the same counter argument can be made as with every
previous major releases: just about every single time, an entity or other
promised to maintain the old stable branch... which never actually happened.

IMHO, the real relevant points are which OS versions are still actually
supported by the vendor, and how big a burden the version requirement
increment relieves.

Afterall, if the OS is no longer supported, there is not much point in
updating the applications. VLC is not a web browser; it will not just stop
working if it is not updated.

--
レミ・デニ-クールモン
http://www.remlab.net/