[vlc-devel] [RFC] Raise minimum required macOS version

Marvin Scholz epirat07 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 15:09:09 UTC 2022

Hi,

given that when we announced VLC 4.x we were expecting it to be released
sooner, and it being in development for quite a while now, the planned
minimum macOS version we aimed to support, macOS 10.10 (Yosemite) which was
released in October 2014 is now already nearly 8 years old.

Personally I think that the maintenance burden for such an old OS for a not
even released version of VLC is too much. We should at least require macOS
10.11, which works on nearly all 2012+ Macs IIRC or even a more recent
macOS version like 10.12.

After all people who really need support for ancient macOS have the option
to just use VLC 3 for the time being…

Whats everyones opinion on this?