[vlc-devel] Support for Windows on Arm

Pierrick Bouvier pierrick.bouvier at linaro.org
Fri Sep 9 09:27:30 UTC 2022

On 9/9/22 11:14, Martin Storsjö wrote:

>>> For plain building of VLC, that shouldn't be needed. VLC for Windows is
>>> best built cross compiled anyway - and that can be done on their existing
>>> linux based CI. They'd primarily need to add such a build configuration
>>> and place the builds somewhere.
>>>
>>> For actual testing, I do have actual Windows on ARM HW too - but it's old
>>> and slow - having access to a VM on Azure would certainly come in handy
>>> every now and then!
>>>

>> If you need it intermittently, one of our lab machine can be a good solution!
>> (at least, it's "free"). We prefer to use VM when they will be used
>> continuously (as it's paid per hour).
>
> That sounds great - how do I get access to one of your lab machines? :-)

We have a VPN access to it, and credentials for one of the machines to
access it in remote desktop.
Those are Surface Pro X. Details available in private :)

> Yes, continuously used machines tend to cost a bit. BTW, what's the
> situation with ARM VMs on Azure at the moment - are they available for the
> general public already, or only for limited sets of users?

They are publicly available for anyone as a "preview" since april. Some
things are not available (like backup, snapshot), and not all regions
are set up. However, it worked pretty well for us so far.

They are based on Ampere Altra servers.

Besides "windows problems" (update, etc), we did not have issue with
cloud itself.