[ANN] vlc 0.1.99g

shervin shervin at oeone.com
Wed Aug 16 17:46:17 CEST 2000

Hi,

I'm getting an error when I try to install the newest version (as root, of
course):

# make install
mkdir -p /usr/local/bin
/usr/bin/ginstall -c vlc /usr/local/bin
for alias in  ; do ln -s vlc /usr/local/bin/$alias ; done
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: `for alias in  ; do ln -s vlc /usr/local/bin/$alias ;
done'make: *** [install] Error 2

I went back to version 0.1.99f, and compared the install target for the
Makefile of both versions. Here's the difference:

vlc-0.1.99f:
install:
        mkdir -p $(prefix)/bin
        $(INSTALL) vlc xvlc  $(prefix)/bin
        mkdir -p $(prefix)/lib/videolan/vlc
-----------
vlc-0.1.99g:
install:
        mkdir -p $(prefix)/bin
        $(INSTALL) vlc $(prefix)/bin
        for alias in  ; do ln -s vlc $(prefix)/bin/$$alias ; done
        mkdir -p $(prefix)/lib/videolan/vlc

I removed the "for alias ..." line from the new version and is succesfully
installed. I do see a little better speed with the new version, but it's
not 30%. However, I'm not using a powerful machine (Celeron 500, to begin
with!), so maybe I'm not seeing all the improvements of the new version.

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong with the Makefile.

Thanks,

- Shervin