[ANN] vlc 0.1.99g

Samuel Hocevar sam at via.ecp.fr
Wed Aug 16 18:23:29 CEST 2000

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000, shervin wrote:

> I'm getting an error when I try to install the newest version (as root, of
> course):
>
> # make install
> mkdir -p /usr/local/bin
> /usr/bin/ginstall -c vlc /usr/local/bin
> for alias in  ; do ln -s vlc /usr/local/bin/$alias ; done
> /bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
> /bin/sh: -c: line 1: `for alias in  ; do ln -s vlc /usr/local/bin/$alias ;
> done'make: *** [install] Error 2

  Ok, this one is my fault. In Makefile.in the line reads "for alias in
@ALIAS@" and ./configure's job is to replace @ALIAS@ with the list of
aliases to add (gvlc or fbvlc).

   As you can see, when no aliases are specified, it barfs but I didn't
notice that since I tested it with zsh, not plain /bin/sh.

   Anyway, removing the line as you did is a quick and working fix.

> I removed the "for alias ..." line from the new version and is succesfully
> installed. I do see a little better speed with the new version, but it's
> not 30%. However, I'm not using a powerful machine (Celeron 500, to begin
> with!), so maybe I'm not seeing all the improvements of the new version.

   Erm. This isn't exactly what I'd call a "not powerful machine" :)
I get almost 20fps on my Celeron running at 375. You should be getting a
really decent framerate with yours, something is wrong.

   Did you pass --enable-mmx and --enable-ppro as arguments to
./configure ? They add a few more optimizations but are not enabled
by default because they don't work on all CPUs (K6s don't support
PentiumPro instructions for instance, and most PentiumPros don't do
MMX).

Regards,
--
Sam.