vlc 0.1.99g on 2.2.16 kernel

Samuel Hocevar sam at via.ecp.fr
Thu Aug 17 02:30:59 CEST 2000

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000, Steven Rodenburg wrote:

> input error: not a startcode (0xb58aac instead of 0x000001)
> input error: read() error
> input error: not a startcode (0xb58aac instead of 0x000001)
> Input initialized
> input error: read() error
>
> Does anyone know what it is wrong.  Compilation and installation went ok
> (with the deletion of the alias thingy in the makefile)
> My DVD drive is a Pioneer 303S  scsi-drive.
> I get this error with all my movie DVD's. Both region 1 and 2.

   Did you try with any other file than vts_01_0.vob ? AFAIK,
vts_01_0.vob contains only the menus and chapter selection streams, not
the real movie, which starts at vts_01_1.vob. You may want to try :
`gvlc vts_01_1.vob' or even `gvlc vts_01_[1-9].vob' to play them all at
once.

   If the problem doesn't come from here, perhaps it is your kernel
which has a problem and can not access the whole DVD. Typing `dmesg'
will give you any eventual kernel errors. With a buggy kernel I once got
such a message :

      attempt to access beyond end of device
      16:00: rw=0, want=3164500, limit=2303698

   If you get such errors, then your kernel is in fault.

Regards,
--
Sam.