vlc: I give up 8-(

Steven Rodenburg steven at bos.nl
Sat Aug 19 01:38:14 CEST 2000

Ok, got vlc running now without the startup errors i mailed in before.
But now vlc just freezes without any messages when i run vlc (or gvlc,
doesn't matter).

This leads me to assume that all my DVD's are encrypted and as i can not
find DeCSS for Linux anywhere (only windows executables and old an old
linux tarball but it has only the pure source. not makefiles and the
like and i don't know how to compile using just these files) the DVD's
ofcourse won't play.
note: My DVD's do not show up on the list of unencrypted titles.

Why the hell is there not a company that will make a good full-featured
Linux-DVD player like PowerDVD or WinDVD on Windows. I don't mind paying
for one.

I really do admire the guys and dolls working on Linux DVD players and
stuff but until now i found not a single player that will just install
and run. Just run and decode and show the damn movies aaaaarrrggh.
Damn it. Linux always lags behind these sort of things (and i've been
around for quite a while mind you).

And now that 2600.com lost their lawsuit and they removed all links to
DeCSS the Linux community is really screwed. Search engines don't reveal
working links to linux-DeCSS packages either.

Greetings,
DVD Linux Frustie Steve