[ANN] vlc 0.1.99d

Samuel Hocevar sam at via.ecp.fr
Wed Jul 12 01:24:40 CEST 2000

   Following the "release often, release early" tradition, version
0.1.99c of the VideoLAN Client (vlc) is out. It is mainly a HIGHLY
UNTESTED version including many patches against 0.1.99d.

   The only reason I am releasing it is that I am working now and I do
not know yet how much time I will be able to devote to VideoLAN until
all the other coders are available again. Some significant improvements
have been achieved, but the best is to come.

   Important note :

   This version of the vlc uses a new plugin scheme, they are all
located in lib/ now, and there is no autodetection or selection yet. You
sadly have to manage plugins by removing the ones you don't need and
making again the ones you need. Fixing this will require some work and a
finalized plugin API, which we don't have yet.

   Thus I did not build packages, because this version of the vlc
probably only works from the untarred source tree. For the impatient
ones, please don't do a Freshmeat announcement : it is weakens the
chances of the next release to have its announcement accepted. And
remember this version has not been really well tested.

   From the ChangeLog :

  * fixed RPM build
  * .deb is now more lintian-friendly
  * fixed vlc.spec to install nicely
  * PLUGIN_PATH and DATA_PATH now in include/*.h
  * removed a few useless warning messages
  * removed remaining header stuff related to the old non-free decoder
  * fixed the MGA build (doesn't work yet, though)
  * new plugin API
  * updated the INSTALL document
  * plugin auto-detection
  * fixed a few misspellings in the code
  * removed the default --enable-ppro option because it didn't work on K6-2
  * the framebuffer client now leaves the console in a working state
  * the dithered 8 bpp YUV transformation works again (blame bbp !)
  * the YUV transformations are now plugins as well
  * alternative symlinks like gvlc, fbvlc are now created at compile time
  * borrowed libmpeg2's GPLed MMX YUV transformations (16 and 32 bits)
  * fixed an endianness problem which occured on iMacs
  * fixed the build for the Mandrake distribution

   You can download the new version via HTTP or FTP :

      http://www.videolan.org/download.html
      ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/0.1.99d/

   Mailing-list :

   Since vlc at videolan.org is supposed to host discussions about the vlc,
a low traffic list vlc-announce has been set up. vlc-announces gets a
subset of vlc (only the announces). The subscription process remains the
same. People wanting to be _moved_ from vlc to vlc-announces can follow
the classic way or contact me directly.

For the VideoLAN team,
Sam.
--
Samuel Hocevar <sam at via.ecp.fr> - http://www.via.ecp.fr/~sam/
     Do not try and fight the Cabal. That's impossible.