Motion Compensation in MMX?

Shervin Shir shervinatoeone at yahoo.ca
Wed Jul 12 17:13:21 CEST 2000

Hi,

I just tried out vlc, I really like the fact that it
drops B frames on not-so-powerful machines (like my
Celeron 400Mhz) instead of playing in slowmotion, in
order to keep the playing rate natural. Great job on
that one!

I went through the code and noticed MMX support is
used for iDCT and YUV, but not for Motion Compensation
(MC). That could further increase the framerate, by
about 3 to 5 fps on my machine.

The Livid project is using MMX support for MC, they
have it in their libmpeg library. I'm considering
using that code to increase the performance of vlc.

Is this being worked on right now? Approximately how
much effort is involved if someone wants to do it?
What are the steps?

Thanks,

- Shervin