Vlc - problems

Gustavo Homem gach at rnl.ist.utl.pt
Tue Jul 18 15:43:00 CEST 2000

		Hello Sam:

To begin, thank you very much for the fast answer. About what you think is a
X11 problem, well, it doesn't happen with xmovie. Xmovie is also VERY slow, but
doesn't lock the system at all. It is as slow as vlc but unfortunately xmovie
doesn't read from stdin so it is not pratical, you know why...
 I will now be more precise about my system:

AMD K7 ATHLON 550 mhz

128 Mb Ram

Ati Rage 128 16 Mb

XFree 3.3.6 with SVGA server ( the SVGA server is a fixed one
 because the original just worked with my card with noaccell option,
otherwyse the fonts were corrupted)

Color depth= 32bpp

Resolution=1024x768

The rpm I tried was the 0.1.99c (the latest rpm available )and the gz I tried
was 0.1.99d, wich is the one also available in freshmeat.org . The second has a
default smaller window , so I saw they were different versions, but one
works(slowly, and blocks the system) and the other can't do better than the
pink shadows (but doesn't block the system).

The c key produces this on stdin: (and makes no difference in the image):

yuvmmx error: unhandled function, grayscale, bpp = 32è

I would like to know if the slowness is due to unused hardware capabilities,
or to the fact that the player is not card specific. In Mswindows the movie
runs FAST in Full Screen, but I have a ATI player.  Anyway, maybe others don't
have this slowness problem, in that case I need to know what is wrong with my
system, otherwyse the problem must be corrected because we must be able to see
the movie in normal movie speed. Can you play a .vob decently in a not too
small window?

I would like to say that I really aprecciate your effort in bringing DVD playing
to Linux, it is the only barrier that disables me (and many people)to wipe my
MsWindows from the Hd. I would like to help in something if I could, I'm not a
DVD expert but I can code alright. So after a few days I will start hacking
something.

			Thanks again and keep up the good work

				Gustavo (Portugal)

A Tue, 18 Jul 2000, enviaste:

--
               2+2=5 for extremely large values of 2

       .-``'.  I.S.T - Instituto Superior Tecnico
     .`   .`~
 _.-'     '._  Licenciatura em Engenharia Fisica e Tecnologica

	       gach at rnl.ist.utl.pt
               http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~gach