Vlc - problems : A much better feedback

Samuel Hocevar sam at via.ecp.fr
Tue Jul 18 23:29:46 CEST 2000

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000, Gustavo Homem wrote:
> one did. I tested the following color depths:
>
> 8 bpp - just sound

   8 bpp uses a custom palette ; be sure to have your mouse cursor enter
the vlc window to have the right colors (you can press the middle mouse
button to make it disappear afterwards).

> 15 bpp - sound, image with some confused colors

   Right. We didn't really bother about 15 bpp because we assumed that
cards that can do 15 bpp can do 16 bpp as well. It will be worked on
later, but it's not a priority.

> 16 bpp - Good color, not as smooth as I would want but The best until now !!!

   Most of us are using 16 bpp, so it has been intensively tested :)

> 24 bpp - sound and pink shadows

   I think noone really did 24 bpp display routines.

> 32 bpp - sound and pink shadows

   This is the most strange behaviour ; it should normally work.

   Try to run the vlc with only yuv.so in the "lib" directory (not
yuvmmx.so), and see if you get the same output.

   Could you do a screenshot of the "pink shadows" by chance ?

> The sound is VERY low so I have to put a lot of gain on the mixer and
> it gets "very mettalic".

   I didn't work on the sound stuff, but perhaps there's a volume
setting in the vlc somewhere. Maybe try to use + and - to change it (not
sure at all about this one). But you're right, usually ac3 sound outputs
with quite a low level. We'll see what can be done here.

   Thanks a lot for the reports. I guess it's time for a FAQ or
something like that :)

--
Sam.