Fw: is this project alive?

Samuel Hocevar sam at via.ecp.fr
Fri Oct 13 03:54:40 CEST 2000

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000, CORDING Darryl wrote:

> I'm definitely using the correct kernel and System.map, learnt that one the
> hard way many years ago.
> I can mount the dvd but only as an iso9660 filesystem, I noticed on the
> livid list somebody was mounting with a fs type of udf. Is the udf
> filesystem the format for dvd's ?? If so I don't have it in my setup.

   Yes, the filesystem used in DVDs is UDF. It is actually very similar
to iso9660. You'll find UDF in Linux 2.2.16+ or the 2.3.x/2.4.0 series.

> Funnily enough I was able to get oms going again.

   OMS is cleverer than vlc because it has its own implementation of the
UDF filesystem (it can directly read the /dev/dvd device). As vlc wasn't
intended to be a DVD player at first, it can just read MPEG files and
has no knowledge of what a DVD really is. This is likely to change one
day, too :)

Regards,
Sam.
--
Samuel Hocevar <sam at via.ecp.fr>                     http://www.via.ecp.fr/~sam/
for DVDs in Linux screw the MPAA and ; do dig $DVDs.z.zoy.org ; done | \