FAQ Needs Clarification?

PhiloVivero pvspam-dntrepl at hacklab.net
Sun Apr 1 09:38:02 CEST 2001

I start 'vlc dvd:/dev/<mydvddevice>' and have write access. The DVD drive just
spins & spins for at least an hour now, using all CPU resources, but no play.

FAQ says if nothing happens, maybe it's cracking the CSS key, but it doesn't
really give me an idea of how long this should take.

I'm running an Athlon 800 with 256MB RAM, so there's no disk thrashing or lack
of CPU power, but I guess cracking a 40-bit key should take hours with an
Athlon system. Just not sure, I guess.

What should I expect, here? Is it right for VLC to require so much CPU for so
long with no picture?

--
philovivero