Crash while playing DVD

Matthew Gabeler-Lee msg2 at po.cwru.edu
Mon Apr 9 06:36:27 CEST 2001

When trying to play a DVD, vlc segfaults.  I tried the --enable-debug
option, but that still didn't get me debugging symbols, so the gdb
backtrace is only of limited utility.  Note that the exact same result
happens when gdb'ing the installed vlc.

$ gdb ./vlc
GNU gdb 19991004
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux"...
(gdb) run dvd:/dev/rom
Starting program: /usr/src/video/vlc/./vlc dvd:/dev/rom
VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.70 Urumov - (C)1996-2001 VideoLAN

Cannot access memory at address 0x231
(gdb) cont
Continuing.
intf: interface initialized
[New Thread 23471 (manager thread)]
[New Thread 23462 (initial thread)]
[New Thread 23472]
[New Thread 23473]
[New Thread 23474]
vout: video display initialized (720x576, 16/16 bpp)
vout: YUV acceleration unavailable !
[New Thread 23475]
input: opening dvd:/dev/rom
[Switching to Thread 23475]

0x40cdcaeb in DVDSetArea () from /usr/src/video/vlc/lib/dvd.so
(gdb) bt
#0  0x40cdcaeb in DVDSetArea () from /usr/src/video/vlc/lib/dvd.so
#1  0x40cecab4 in ?? () from /usr/src/video/vlc/lib/dvd.so
#2  0x8d000 in ?? ()
Cannot access memory at address 0x10
(gdb)

--